Lincoln’s Watchlist

Ava Halada, Staff Reporter

Photo Credit to Pinterest

I’m sure many of us are well versed with pulling up a streaming service to watch something new and ending up with the same comfort show you’ve seen a million times. Now, there is nothing wrong with having a show that you love and rewatch to death; however, this article is for those who are looking for something new. Whether you love a comforting comedy or thrilling action, I got you. Now let’s hear what Lincoln students have to say: 

Community: 

Available to stream on Netflix, Hulu and Philo, the series receives 88% from Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.5 from IMDB! The show comes from the mind of Oscar winner Jim Rash. It follows a lawyer (Joel McHale) after his license has been revoked who finds himself at Greendale Community College. 

South Park: 

The show is currently in its 26th season and can be watched on HBO Max, Comedy Central, and Paramount Plus. With an 80% Rotten Tomatoes rating and an 8.7 from IMDB, this comedy is described by Google as: “The animated series [that] is not for children. In fact, its goal seems to be to offend as many as possible as it presents the adventures of Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman.” 

As mentioned, the show follows a group of 10-year-olds through their buffoonish adventures in a fictional town called South Park. 

Fleabag:

From the brilliant mind of Phoebe Waller-Bridges comes a poignant and somehow equally raunchy comedy centering a twenty-something woman known only as Fleabag as she goes through life in London. It receives a well-deserved 100% from Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.7 from IMDB. Writer and star Waller-Bridges is also the mind behind a familiar favorite, Killing Eve, and an underappreciated first work called Crashing. 

(Available on Netflix)

New Girl:

Receiving 95% from Rotten Tomatoes, this heartwarming sitcom follows a group of roommates over the course of ten years as they navigate their young adult lives. The show combines heartwarming aspects with an overall feel of a classic sitcom in a way that makes it enjoyable and incredibly easy to watch. You can watch New Girl on Hulu!

No Country for Old Men: 

This multiple Oscar winner directed by powerhouse brothers Joel and Ethan Coen is an intense crime thriller containing one of the greatest movie villains of all time. The story was adapted from a 2005 novel by the same name that follows an illegal drug deal gone wrong. The movie centers on themes of fate, coincidence and greed and can be streamed on Amazon Prime. 

Everything Everywhere All At Once:

The 2022 film that swept through awards season (rightfully so) is an innovative look at an interdimensional rupture that causes the world as we know it to begin unravelling. When an unlikely hero emerges, she must learn to wield her newfound powers while protecting herself and her family. The movie balances a profound sense of weirdness with equally heart wrenching scenes that make it a truly one-of-a-kind film. 

The Talented Mr. Ripley: 

Beautiful Mediterranean scenery accompanies this thriller, which is entertaining and wonderfully shot. The story set in the 50s follows a 20-year-old underachiever who is sent to retrieve a millionaire’s playboy son and bring him home to New York, but when his initial plan falls through, he must take matters into his own hands. The movie scored five Oscar nominations and can be watched on Amazon Prime or Hulu.