The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln librarian, Ms. Scott, sits down with The Log to discuss book banning.
Book Banning: A Conversation with Ms. Scott
Simon Kreft, News Editor • April 19, 2024

In the last three years, the trend of book banning has been hot in the cultural and political landscape. The most recent wave has surrounded...

Huskies Historic Season

2023 was filled with many great stories and events, but possibly the most surprising one that Seattle witnessed was the incredible season from the Washington Huskies Football Team.

There were many reasons for the historic season, but a major key to success was star quarterback Michael Penix Jr.

Star Husky Quarterback Michael Penix Jr stepping into a throw.
(AP Photo/John Froschauer)

The journey hasn’t been pretty for the 23 year old senior. In 2018, he was only a 3 star recruit out of high school, but received national attention as soon as he stepped on the field for Indiana University.

But, after four consecutive season-ending injuries, including 2 different ACL tears, Penix was facing adversity. Regardless, he refused to quit on his dreams, and found a new home where he could begin a fresh start.

At the end of the 2021 season, he transferred to the University of Washington, with his former offensive coordinator Kalen DeBoer. Penix would have to make the most of his remaining two years of college football eligibility, and could not afford a 5th season-ending injury.

In 2022, he led his team to a successful 11-2 season, which included a win against the top ranked rival University of Oregon Ducks, and an Alamo Bowl victory against the University of Texas Longhorns. Most importantly, he stayed healthy all season, and threw for 4,641 yards.

But Penix still wasn’t satisfied. He led the 2023 Huskies on a historic run, making it all the way to the College Football Championship without suffering a defeat. He threw for a Husky single season record of  4,903 passing yards, 36 touchdowns, and was voted the Heisman Trophy runner-up (award given to best player in college football).

“[It’s the] best season I’ve seen from a quarterback since 2019 Joe Burrow,” said sophomore Josiah Smith Jr. “After everything he went through throughout his early career, its inspirational what he’s able to accomplish now. He never gave up on his dreams.”

Penix wasn’t the only reason for the team’s success. He had a dominant group of receivers catching his passes, including Rome Odunze who, according to ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr., is a top 5 overall draft pick. They were also led by a great offensive line that was given the Joe Moore Award (an award that recognizes the best offensive line in college football).

Even though the Huskies lost in the Championship to the University of Michigan, Lincoln freshman Anders Diller still considers the season a success.

“Anytime you go 14-1, it’s a successful season in my book. Especially in a competitive league like the Pac 12. It was a great year overall for the Huskies that I will remember for a long time.”