The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln librarian, Ms. Scott, sits down with The Log to discuss book banning.
Book Banning: A Conversation with Ms. Scott
Simon Kreft, News Editor • April 19, 2024

In the last three years, the trend of book banning has been hot in the cultural and political landscape. The most recent wave has surrounded...

Senior Sportlight: Crosby LaMotte’s Commitment to UW Rowing

Crosby LaMotte, a senior at Lincoln, committed to the University of Washington’s Men’s Rowing Team in October 2023. The UW has been his dream school since he was in sixth grade.

LaMotte started rowing for the local Green Lake team the summer between his ninth and tenth grade year. After enjoying a rowing camp that he completed to get in shape for soccer, LaMotte picked up rowing as a second sport in tenth grade, resulting in a physically demanding schedule of practicing his sports for five hours most days. In the spring, he decided to continue rowing instead of playing soccer for Lincoln.

Graphic by Hikma Omer. (AllMarkOne.)

Spring season for him consists of conditioning and learning technique on land, as well as short distance races that include some travel.

“You’re going to Canada, you’re going to Florida, hopefully for [nationals],” LaMotte said. “You’re travelling all over and competing in really cool races if you’re in a top boat.”

In the shorter fall season, there are long-distance races and 14.5 hours of practice per week that involve land and water training. In the winter season, conditioning is the norm.

LaMotte became inspired to row for UW in his first fall season at Green Lake by a teammate with a level of speed that he believed if he trained towards, he would be able to qualify for the UW team. As he grew faster at rowing, he was approached by a coach from Dartmouth College. He wasn’t allowed to talk to coaches about recruitment as a tenth-grade athlete, but the coach told him he would have potential at many top colleges if he continued down the path he was on.

When his spring season finished and he was allowed to talk to college coaches, the UW was the first college LaMotte emailed to express interest in their rowing program. He set up times to talk with a representative from the UW who met with him in person and came to watch one of his races. He also sent in his erg time, the amount of time it took for him to row 2000 meters on a rowing machine, and race results. Soon after, he received a call from the representative offering him a spot on the team. He accepted a year later at the start of his senior year.

On his official visit to the UW, LaMotte was given a full tour of the school and boathouse and learned about the team’s support system which includes paid meals, top-notch equipment, and priority in choosing classes. He also bonded with the team.

“Both my parents rowed there [for UW],” LaMotte said. “It’s so cool to continue their legacy.”

He’s looking forward to rowing for a top school that will push him to be the best he can be.

“They got second in the nation last year and so I wanted to row for a team that I could help but that could also help me,” LaMotte said. “That feeling when you’re all working together towards a goal and you accomplish it…it’s so good.”

He hopes to be in the top eight freshman rowers of his class next year before joining the more senior members of the team in competitions. Between his commitment to a strong program and drive to do himself proud, his athletic future looks promising.

“I’d love to make the Olympics. That’s the dream,” LaMotte said.