The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln librarian, Ms. Scott, sits down with The Log to discuss book banning.
Book Banning: A Conversation with Ms. Scott
Simon Kreft, News Editor • April 19, 2024

In the last three years, the trend of book banning has been hot in the cultural and political landscape. The most recent wave has surrounded...

Ethan Roberts’ Commitment to Chapman Soccer

Ethan Roberts, a senior at Lincoln, committed to Chapman University’s Men’s Soccer Team in August 2023.

Roberts started playing soccer at age four at West Queen Anne Playfield in Queen Anne. His parents’ involvement in sports earlier in life pushed him to try out different sports as he was growing up and see which ones he enjoyed. Soccer stuck with him from an early age and his learning of skills helped him develop into who he is today.

Ethan Roberts (middle) celebrating with his teammates. (Corey Hoffman)

“My favorite part of soccer is being motivated to be the best version of myself I can,” Roberts said. “Every time I play, it challenges me to push myself and keep going even when I’m not feeling the best and [know] that it’s all going to be good at the end.”

Roberts played for the club team, Seattle United, for eleven years. He formed positive relationships with his teammates, some of whom are also on the Lincoln soccer team with him, which helped foster a close-knit team culture at Lincoln as well as Seattle United. His practices for Seattle United were three to four times per week and games were on weekends. Additionally, he practiced with a friend outside of organized practices.

He enjoys trying new positions on the field because of how it challenges him to think differently and see the game from different points of view. His main positions are right back and left back and he sometimes plays midfield. He has practices and games for Lincoln on weekdays during the spring sports season, and on Saturdays, the team works out on spin bikes, bonds with one another, and analyzes recordings of their plays. They have Sundays off but can still go out and pass with each other.

In August 2023, Roberts’ Seattle United team made it to the finals of the Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) playoffs. The league is made up of teams across the country and participating in it is a great opportunity for players who are looking for exposure and a college career. Roberts’ team won second in the nation, giving him a lot of exposure.

He started emailing with the recruiting coach at Chapman and was invited to come down to spend time with the team, watch a game, and get a glimpse of what everyday life is like there. He connected well with the players on the team and was able to ask them questions.

Roberts knew that he wanted to go to Chapman for college. On the last night of his visit, the head coach offered him a spot on the team which he accepted. He was admitted to the school a few months later after completing the application process. His sister is currently in her second year there and has influenced his decision in going there.

“Don’t let anybody else get in the way of your goals,” Roberts advises. “I know it can be challenging in high school — there’s all these other things going on — but if you really want to play a college sport, you can do it. It’s just a matter of your willingness to put in the work when nobody’s there or maybe skipping the Friday night hangout to go to the field by yourself and train.”

In college, Roberts aims to balance out his time. Instead of dedicating all his time to schoolwork or soccer, he wants to focus on a mix of the two as well as other activities.

As one of about twenty players on Chapman’s soccer team, Roberts is sure to impress and further his athletic career in an excellent program.