The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln librarian, Ms. Scott, sits down with The Log to discuss book banning.
Book Banning: A Conversation with Ms. Scott
Simon Kreft, News Editor • April 19, 2024

In the last three years, the trend of book banning has been hot in the cultural and political landscape. The most recent wave has surrounded...

Rainy City Races: 2023

Since another election season is soon upon us, the people of Seattle – or the roughly 487,000 registered voters – will be able to vote in their respective districts to remake the Seattle City Council! This year, seven of the nine seats are up for grabs, with over half of the seats not having an incumbent.

The importance of local elections like the Seattle City Council election is sometimes overlooked, as the elections that often captivate our minds are largely federal, state congressional, or maybe the occasional mayoral. The less-known local elected offices, though, can completely change the policy of a city in real-time. In the case of the Seattle City Council, they decide the local laws regarding housing and zoning, policing, transportation, and funding/budget for all of Seattle (alongside the mayor). Besides being familiar with the importance of election processes, it is also important to know the candidates themselves, as knowledge is the backbone of a healthy democracy.

For the incumbent races, there is usually a measure of either responding approval or disapproval for a candidate already in office. Since the last term, each city councilmember has had to respond to several social, economic, and health issues. For this article, each incumbent won’t be judged based on their response, but rather, by what they say about themselves and what they promise to bring to the city.

For the 2023 city council election, there are fourteen candidates spread across 7 districts with each running on a unique platform. It can be a lot if you aren’t actively engaged in Seattle city politics, so to keep with democratic fashion, we here at the Log have given a simple rundown of each candidate with general information about their platform and some personal statements for Lincoln’s eligible voters.

District 1: West Seattle, SODO, Pioneer Square, Georgetown, Industrial District 

Maren Costa:

For more info visit: marenforseattle.com

Platform:

• Housing/Property reform to address homelessness with “Housing First” initiatives, promises to reinvigorate local businesses and the Downtown area through proposed homelessness solutions and intuitive zoning policies.
  • Policing reform and alternate responder solutions to alleviate crime alongside gun reform for a “safer city”. Acknowledges that crime is directly related to economic, drug, and housing issues.
  • Ecofriendly and “forward facing” city policies that address climate change, the importance of education and SPS, and increases to transportation and park

Statement:

“I am a 21 year resident of West Seattle, Seattle Public Schools mom, tech leader, and climate justice organizer. While at Amazon, I guided big teams and big budgets to successful results. I rallied my colleagues and co-founded Amazon Employees for Climate Justice, which used first-in-the-industry collective organizing tactics to bring international scrutiny to Amazon’s climate negligence — and resulted in multi-billion-dollar climate commitments. Now, I’m running to represent Seattle’s District 1 to help lead a housed, healthy, and safer Seattle.

Some of the top issues for high schoolers include climate change, gun violence, and the high cost of living for single young adults. I am proposing plans for Seattle to lead on climate resilient infrastructure and reducing carbon emissions through the built environment; I will fight for more funding for proven, community-based gun violence prevention programs and other unarmed public safety teams; and am working to improve our housing crisis by creating far more workforce (low- and middle-income) housing availability as well as social housing (where everyone pays no more than 30% of their income on rent).”

Rob Saka: 

For more info visit: voterobsaka.com

Platform:

• Increasing public safety through more gun regulations and accountability policies for the police with less intervention and more prevention. Wants more community centered approaches to issues and values fostering trust between communities and city organizations.
  • Affordable housing and zoning reform to stimulate lower property prices, wants to make Seattle a more affordable and people-centered city with smart planning and less “red tape” to stimulate growth.
  • Addressing homelessness with more resources for the homeless; access to designated lots, addiction/mental health treatment, and addressing the systems that cause homelessness in the first place.
  • Increasing Seattle’s commitment to climate change policy through building sustainable projects, expanding the city’s electrified transit, and reinforcing the infrastructure of the city.

Statement: [declined]

District 2: Chinatown-International District, Yesler Terrace, Mount Baker, Beacon Hill, Othello, Columbia City, and Rainer Beach

Tammy Morales: the current D2 council member

For more info visit: votefortammy.com

Platform:

• Reinforcing community safety by focusing on restorative justice, protecting people from traffic violence and on sidewalks, and reducing the prevalence of gun violence.
  • Continuing her policy of supporting renters and affordable housing, supporting small businesses with stabilization funding, and upholding the Tenants Bill of Rights (enforcing just cause evictions).
  • Creating and maintaining healthy communities by upholding the Seattle Green New Deal, protecting reproductive and gender-affirming care, and protecting funding for mental health services. She also wants to foster vibrant communities “full of creativity, opportunity, and care” and protect local businesses.

Statement: [never responded]

Tanya Woo:

For more info visit: votetanyawoo.com

Platform:

• Encouraging affordable housing by giving incentives to developers, changing ordinances to require a percentage of housing developed in every place, and expediting the permit process to stimulate development of lower rent buildings.
  • Community based solutions to safety, including funding for alternate policing and first responders. Wants to focus on fostering community between the groups within the city to build trust and protect one another from hate and the issues that bring people down.
  • Helping the homeless by ending sweeps and instead directing people to services. Also increasing funding for mental health, addiction, and hospital services.
  • Increase the accessibility of transit for everyone to prevent car related deaths.

Statement: [declined]

District 3: Capitol Hill, Montlake, Madison Park, Central District, Leschi, and First Hill

Joy Hollingsworth:

For more info visit: joyforseattle.com

Platform:

• Increasing public safety and police reform that strengthens alternate response initiatives and increased funding.
  • Revitalizing community and city health through polices that nurture SPS programs, mentorship-based education, arts, and culture funding, and creating more spaces for cross-community interactions and safe spaces.
  • Committed to housing, infrastructure, and transportation funding to alleviate the rising costs of all three and to fortify the city for the future and make it more friendly.
  • Addressing the homelessness and drug crisis through increased access to health services, drug recovery programs, and increased shelter spaces.

Statement:

“I am the product of the historic Central District neighborhood, afterschool programming and summer youth activities. I have dedicated my life to working with our young people and their development. From creating equitable access to sports and engaging in the arts and to coaching at the collegiate level, this has been my purpose.

I understand the investments we need to make in our young people so you all will have the opportunities of education, enrichment, mental health and well-being and connection in our community.

The voting pattern of Seattle, like many cities around the country, advantages older voters with high voter turnout among seniors and low voter turnout among young adults. That means that older generations are disproportionately shaping your future. I encourage those of you who are eligible, to vote in this year’s General Election as voters have the largest impact in local elections. These are folks we are electing to keep our community safe, affordable, healthy and thriving.”

Alex Hudson:

For more info visit: alexforseattle.com

Platform:

• A “modern” transit policy and higher funding towards city transportation, vows to see the city center connector reinvigorated. Committed to the Link light rail project and increasing accessibility and equity among all transit users.
  • Fostering public safety and community well-being by adding accountability and reform policies to the police force alongside a co-responder model of mental health, drug treatment, and social work.
  • Making housing affordable and available to everyone in the city by increased rent-control, funding affordable housing projects, and increasing the number of shelters throughout Seattle.
  • Fixing Seattle’s tax code more equitable through capital gains taxes and support for small businesses.

Statement:

“I’m a true progressive with a long track record of results that make people’s lives better. Whether it’s been fighting for free transit for every young person in Washington, building affordable housing and homeless shelters, creating better parks and more bike lanes, or creating real solutions that take care of people and make us safer, I’m ready from Day 1 to take on our greatest challenges. We can have a healthy planet, good jobs, and a fair economy.  As a parent of a high schooler, I’m fighting for her and all the young people who deserve so much better and I’d be honored to earn your vote.”

District 4: Wallingford (that’s here!), U-District, Wedgewood, Ravenna, Roosevelt, and Laurelhurst

Ron Davis:

For more info visit: ronforseattle.com

Platform:

• Make housing affordable by expanding housing supply, expanding affordable housing, and protecting those at risk of homelessness.
  • Reduce homelessness, which requires the above andadding tiny homes and permanent supportive housing and rebuilding our behavioral health system.
  • Ensure safety by staffing SPD, delivering long-promised behavioral health first responders, and requiring accountability for badly behaved police. Expand our overburdened drug treatment programs.
  • Protect the climate with green building standards and ensure that we can walk to meet our daily needs. Make it as easy to get around Seattle without a car as it is with one. Electrify everything that isn’t human propelled. Protect trees as we build and plant 100,000 trees in underserved neighborhoods.

Statement:

“I’m Ron Davis, running for city council. My boys are at Bryant and Eckstein. I’m running to make Seattle an affordable, safe place to start a career, raise a family, and age gracefully. My parents were teenagers when they got pregnant with me, but I graduated from Harvard Law School, and launched a startup. That journey was only possible because housing used to be more affordable. It isn’t any more, and I want to fix it.

As a volunteer, I work with public policy organizations that are passing legislation in Olympia on climate, transportation and housing.

I’m endorsed by the Seattle Student Union, Young Dems of King County, UW Young Dems, our Reps Darya Farivar (who I and Nicole Macri and countless others. Please see my website seattle4ron.com!”

Maritza Rivera:

For more info visit: maritzaforseattle.com

Platform:

• Building a safer community through effectively continuing the enforcement gun laws, full staffing of police department, funding alternate policing solutions, and enforcing drug laws.
  • Making Seattle a more affordable city by reducing the cost of housing, supporting cheaper childcare, expanding trade education and apprenticeships, and funding transportation.
  • Building up public trust in the local government with progressive reform of Seattle’s tax code, transparency, and equity within the city budget.
  • Staying committed to current city climate commitments; making Seattle more climate change resilient, pushing for net-zero carbon-cutting policies, and investing in clean efficient transportation.

Statement:

“I appreciate the opportunity to encourage young people to become informed and involved voters. Your vote is your voice, and you should let people hear it.
After the deadly shooting at Ingraham High School, where I have two daughters, I realized I had to do something about Seattle’s public safety crisis. I joined the race for the district 4 city council seat. Public safety is my number one priority, and I also want to keep Seattle affordable, so that you and your classmates will be able to live in the place that you grew up, and your parents will be able to continue living here too.”

District 5: Northgate, Lake city, Bitter Lake, Greenwood, and North beach

Cathy Moore:

For more info visit: cathymoore.net

Platform:

• Building public safety by increasing the number of police officers and crisis responder workers in every neighborhood, increasing gun violence prevention, and expanding mental health and substance abuse treatment programs.
  • Fighting climate change by establishing a climate resilience department to implement long-lasting change, expanding transit throughout the metro area, and protecting natural spaces like watersheds, parks, and forests.
  • Increasing affordable housing by adding affordable units to new developments and to diversify housing options in neighborhoods by creating social housing to accommodate families and workers.
  • Helping alleviate homelessness with outreach to mitigate tent and RV encampments, providing 24/7 access to shelter, and keeping people facing housing instability in homes.

Statement:

“Dear Lincoln High School, my name is Cathy Moore, and I’m running for the Seattle City Council in District 5. First and foremost, I want to express my sincere gratitude to all of you for getting politically involved and for recognizing the power that your voices hold. You are the future of our city, and your commitment to making a positive change in our community is truly inspiring. I’m asking for your vote because I believe in a Seattle that thrives on unity, sustainability, and equal opportunity for everyone. Your vote for me means supporting policies that prioritize affordable housing, quality education, and environmental stewardship. It means advocating for safer streets, stronger community bonds, and economic growth that benefits all. Your vote help shape the city you want to inherit, and I promise to listen to your concerns, ideas, and dreams for a better Seattle. So, let’s make our voices heard, together, and remember that every vote counts. Thank you for being engaged, and please remember the vital importance of voting – it’s not just a right, it’s a responsibility that shapes our collective future.”

ChrisTiana ObeySumner:

For more info visit: votechristiana.com

Platform:

• Creating housing justice through the funding of affordable housing, inclusionary zoning that increases density, and a vacancy tax to prevent high developer price gauging.
  • Prioritizing solutions to homelessness like “housing first” initiatives that focus on housing before all else, increasing funding for social services, and supporting the safety and health of people in encampments. ChrisTiana says they want to address the root causes of homelessness and not just the outcomes.
  • Implementing climate justice with a disability justice climate emergency preparedness plan, getting the city to carbon zero by 2035 via the Seattle Green New Deal, and by bolstering multi-modal transit options.
  • A thriving city of economics and culture with grants for small businesses, and education programs like Seattle Promise. A part of their plan is support for equal wealth taxes.
  • Emphasizing a community approach to safety with comprehensive community policing, alternate policing solutions, and the involvement of the people most affected to alleviate instability and crime.

Statement:

“Hello, Lincoln High School!

I’m ChrisTiana ObeySumner, and I’m running for Seattle City Council, District 5. Throughout my campaign, you may have heard me say that I seek “upstream solutions for downstream results.” This is a big and nuanced way of saying that I work proactively. Instead of slapping bandaids on issues or repeating history, I like to find the root causes of a problem and fix it at the source. This also means that I take a human and planet-first mindset. Our city-wide problems are interconnected, and I have the policymaking experience and expertise to address all of the intricate systems and pieces that present gaps and failures to our most intersectionally-impacted folks. As an autistic, queer, non-binary, BIPOC, and disabled person, I know first-hand the effects and traumas of housing insecurity, food insecurity, and how difficult it is to navigate a system that doesn’t work in your best interests.

In my younger years, I was a youth leader and I understand the frustration of seeing adults behaving poorly and not considering the effects their policies had on my peers. When I say I work proactively and upstream, it means I’m fighting for your future. Not just now, but for whatever the future holds for you as long as you’re in Seattle.

Feel free to read up on votechristiana.com. My platform is centered on housing justice, climate justice, disability justice, community safety, intersectional equity, the arts, and building thriving communities where folks from all arenas of life can live and grow in the city we call home. Thank you.”

District 6: Ballard, Fremont, Magnolia, Green Lake, Phinney Ridge, Woodland Park, and Loyal heights

Dan Strauss: the current D6 Council Member

For more info visit: d6danstrauss.org

Platform:

• Enforcing public safety by fully funding the police, recruiting police who share the “views of Seattleites”, expanding first responders along with community task forces, and hiring public safety coordinators in all the neighborhoods of Seattle.
  • Alleviating homelessness by scaling up neighborhood homelessness response teams, cracking down on predators hiding behind homelessness and preying on vulnerable people, and adding urgency and accountability to the Regional Homelessness Authority.
  • Improving housing by increasing the number of permits given, continued funding for affordable housing, increasing the availability of affordable family-sized units, and ensure boosted density meets the personality of Seattle comprehensively through design guidelines and building codes.

Statement:

“My name is Dan Strauss and I am your District 6 Seattle City Councilmember running for re-election. I grew up in District 6 and in my career I have focussed on issues important to young people. When I worked for the Alliance for Gun Responsibility, it was my job to work with students and supporters to create an advocacy program to pass gun responsibility legislation in this state by teaching young people how to effectively advocate for issues important to them. Now in the city council, my office regularly meets with young people, from meeting with Ingraham students after the shooting at their school, to Adams elementary students, to youth joining the Seattle Boards and Commissions. It is important to me to show young people how to become involved. I am a former King County Young Democrats member and I am thrilled to have earned

their endorsement. I’ve resolved encampments without sweeps, brought affordable housing projects to our district, created a public safety coordinator position in Ballard, and passed the strongest energy code in the nation to combat climate change. I ask for your vote to build on the momentum addressing these important issues because we can’t afford to lose any ground making Seattle the gem we know it can be!”

Pete Hanning:

For more info visit: votepeteford6.com

Platform:

• Working on homelessness by expanding mental health and drug treatment programs, continuing to increase shelter space, and expanding outreach programs.
  • Creating better community by improving cooperation between all parties, tailoring alternate emergency preparedness solutions, and working with the police to support community policing.
  • Ensuring the health of small businesses by making the city with them, reducing costly bureaucracy, and by protecting local businesses from crime.
  • Prioritizing infrastructure in the city budget and fixing the aging roads, bridges, and other areas of infrastructure that are being neglected.

Statement: [never responded]

District 7: Queen Anne, Uptown, Belltown, Westlake, Interbay, SW Magnolia

Andrew Lewis: the current d7 council member

For more info visit: lewisforseattle.com

Platform:

• Invest in housing with supportive services for addiction and behavioral mental health conditions, increase the supply of affordable housing (including social housing), and fund transitional housing to get people out of encampments.
  • Fostering public safety by funding first responders, including police, firefighters, and mental health clinicians. On-demand mental and addiction help facilities to receive community members in crisis, forming a civilian first response department.
  • Rebuilding and reinforcing Seattle against climate change, planning for walkable 15-minute neighborhoods, funding transportation policies, emphasizing alternatives to driving by creating safe infrastructure to walk and roll, reducing motor-related fatalities or serious injuries, and creating incentives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Statement:

“As the youngest councilmember I am deeply honored to ask for your vote. For most of you this will be your first election and, while I hope to earn your vote, I encourage you to take advantage of public resources to objectively learn about my opponent and myself. The King County Voter Guide is a good resource. I am running for re-election to support comprehensive public safety, expand affordable housing, and fight climate change. On public safety, I have worked to expand the types of workers we dispatch to 911 calls, like mental health providers. Not every call for service requires police. Together, we can realize a future where care and public health are a big part of our 911 response. On housing, I worked in my first term to create more than 2,300 supportive affordable housing units. A 47% increase in our supportive housing supply. Supportive housing pairs apartments with onsite services for addiction and mental health to provide a place permanently and effectively for people to exit homelessness. Together, we can compassionately and accountability end homelessness in our community. On climate change, we need all hands on deck. We need to expand light rail to make it easier to get around Seattle without a car, transition building heating away from fossil fuels and toward renewable electricity and protect bike lanes and sidewalks so we can walk and roll without fear of being injured or killed. Together, we can build a livable community and overcome global climate change.”

Bob Kettle:

For more info visit: kettleforseattle.com

Platform:

• Revitalizing and supporting every neighborhood in Seattle but specifically focusing on restoring downtown and maintaining social infrastructure.
  • Supporting the homeless by “fixing the broken public health system”, restoring public spaces, and building more affordable housing.
  • Improving public safety by hiring more officers who have a connection to the community, changing the City Council’s approach to public safety that promotes both public safety and public health, and fully funding an adequately staffed police department with a more expansive set of skills to react to different situations.

Statement: [never responded]