The Student News Site of Lincoln High School

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln Log

Lincoln librarian, Ms. Scott, sits down with The Log to discuss book banning.
Book Banning: A Conversation with Ms. Scott
Simon Kreft, News Editor • April 19, 2024

In the last three years, the trend of book banning has been hot in the cultural and political landscape. The most recent wave has surrounded...

Latin Heritage Month Assembly a Success

In late October, LSU put together an assembly in the auditorium for Latin Heritage Month. They wanted to have an opportunity to share the importance of their culture with us.

During this assembly, they gave demonstrations of dances and explanations of celebrations. They also talked about common stereotypes and misconceptions many people have about many Latin cultures. They finished off the assembly with an exciting piñata hitting challenge, where students in the audience got to participate.

Día de los muetros Ofrenda (Kino Irving)

The following week, LSU set up an altar in the library for people to celebrate the upcoming Día De Los Muertos – Day of The Dead – holiday on November 2nd. Students could bring in objects that had a meaningful connection to deceased family and friends and display them as offerings in an open space to allow their dead loved ones to come visit them.

Día De Los Muertos usually stretches from the end of October to the beginning of November. Traditionally, pictures of loved ones, their favorite foods, and items they loved are placed on altars. Altars are typically accompanied by lit candles and flowers, especially marigolds.

Finally, we would like to give a thanks to LSU for setting up this assembly and altar for the Lincoln school community, and for all the working bodies that were a part of helping with the setup. We can’t wait to see what they do next!